Home » Letter of Introduction

Letter of Introduction

February 1st, 2019
Prof. Thomas Collins
City College of New York
160 Convent Ave
New York, NY 10031

Dear Prof. Collins,

In terms of my life, there isn’t much to brag about. I’m just a normal kid from Jackson Heights trying to focus on graduating from college and hopefully find my place in the world. I did what almost every other person did when they were young. I went to the nearby elementary school and played a lot of sports such as basketball, baseball, and football. I started playing the piano when I was in third grade, switched to the trumpet for two years, and ended up playing the drums in the school band until I graduated from high school. I was the best drummer in my school in my junior year and senior year, but I decided not to continue after I graduated even though I was good at it.

Like anyone else, I’d say school is very annoying, but there’s always that one class or two that just grabs your attention more than the rest. For me that was math and science. Ever since I was a little kid, I have always had a passion for mathematics. I was never really challenged in math during middle school, which is why I am so interested in the subject. In eighth grade, I was given the opportunity to take Algebra I as well as the math provided in my school, allowing me to be a year ahead in the subject in high school. Science, especially physics, had also caught my attention because of how much it associated with math. The fact that I did not have much knowledge in something that I enjoyed, led me to pursue it more in the future.

I was taught differently in high school compared to how I was taught in middle school. This just made me more aware of the connection of math and physics with the real world. I learned that the material in both subjects are everywhere, even though many people might not realize it. Something as simple as walking involves these two subjects which is why it’s so interesting to me.

When I was applying for colleges in my senior year, I had to choose what my major was going to be. At that point, I didn’t know what I wanted to do except that I wanted it to deal with both math and science. I decided to choose computer engineering as my major because not only would I be involved with math and science, but I would also be dealing with the hardware and software aspects of computer systems. It sounded great at that moment and I enjoyed the classes that I’ve already taken, especially the engineering class I took in my first semester. I made new friends and I learned how to make a digital clock with a bunch of wires.

I think I chose computer engineering because of how much I would be improving the world while I enjoyed doing my job. Technology is the future and the better it gets, the better the world is. In the future, I want to be involved with the improvement of technology. I want to work with something like Artificial Intelligence or Robotics because it just seems like these two can help our society in the future. Maybe one day, planes can have an autopilot feature and fly itself to any destination of yours without any worry of malfunction.

Technology is already becoming-if not already-a necessity in society. People’s lives revolve around technology, especially the small computers we carry around in our pockets. I enjoy using the technology we have today because it just makes everything easier to accomplish. That’s why Artificial Intelligence and Robotics are something I’d like to pursue in, but I’m also interested in the software aspect of video games. Video games are just the entertaining aspect of technology. Who doesn’t like video games? Like most people, I’ve played video games all my life and to be able to work on the development of one is very exciting. It requires a lot of computer science which happens to big part of my computer engineering major which makes it a possible career to pursue. I’m currently taking a computer science course, and from the classes I’ve had, it looks very difficult. I have no experience in computer science, but I’m it becomes much more enjoyable once you get used to coding and learn how to use it.

Engineering can be applied to almost everything in the world by using both Math and Science. I want to pursue this field because I would be able to improve people’s everyday lives, while also doing something that I enjoy. Everything in life has some sort of math and science connected to it, and with math and science, we can use engineering to improve anything.

Sincerely,

George Medina